How to Sand and Refinish Hardwood Floors Yourself | VacuumBazzar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might write How to Sand and Refinish Hardwood Floors Yourself just to see how it works. But you may not think about doing it yourself because you think it is a very difficult task for you. But that is not entirely true. It will take some time and effort to get the job done, and the steps I have shown will make the job possible for you. The discussion will focus how to sand hardwood floor and refinish, what materials will be needed to do so.
When your wooden floor is exposed to the regular movement with the heels and excitement of the pets, their condition is really bad. If the scratches affect the initial layer, a buff, or a coat of varnish is sufficient. But if it’s deep and has endured several times your pet’s urination that has reached deep into the wood, buff or varnish is not enough.
But what is the solution? They are not easy to replace and they are not cheap. Basically refinishing is definitely cheaper than replacing. You can do this with the help of some experts but they charge a lot more. There is a charge of about 3-4 dollar per square foot. Whatever happens if you do the work yourself? The cost of hiring experts will be saved and you will get a new experience.
Follow the steps given by me to get a professional cleaning.
How to Sand and Refinish Hardwood Floors Yourself
You are smart and intelligent so no task is difficult for you. The only requirement is a proper guideline. You will need to be prepared with some tools to refine the floor. Keeping the necessary things at hand will make the task easier. See below what it takes to do the job
Things You’ll Need
For Your Safety:
- Hand gloves
- Eye protector goggles
For Prep the Floor:
- Plastic sheeting
- Shop vacuum
- Sandpaper 30-40, 50-60, 80-100 grit for the first, second, and third pass.
- Sanding screen 120 grit
- Wood filler
- Putty knife
- Painter tape
- Mineral spirits
- Nail set
- Cotton rugs
- Hard floor cleaner
- Fine steel wool pads
- Smooth foam roller
For Finish the Floor:
- Polyurethane floor finish
- Wool applicator
- Paint tray
- Orbital sander or drum sander (rent from home improvement store)
- Power hand sander
The thing should do Before Refinish the Floor
The task does not have to be so simple. Keep your partner with you or as a collaborator who is really hard worker. The finishing work is going to be quite dusty all around so you need to does something before you start it so that your cleaning work doesn’t increase.
- Take out all the furniture in the room you are going to start with first. If you finish a few rooms, do it one by one and do not take it all out at once. This may require other members to stay out for quite some time.
- Furniture that cannot be taken out should be covered with cloth or plastic and taped around.
- Close out clog outlets or similar spaces with tape.
- Uninstall doors that can be uninstalled. As if it is possible to send every inch.
- You can open the baseboards of the room; it is possible to open it gently without ruining it. So open as much as possible and cover the rest with painter tape.
- If you sand a room, you need to close the gaps in the doors as soon as you tap the windows, you can use plastic sheeting to do that.
- Nail down any loose boards with finish nails so that it does not damage the sand paper while sanding.
- Check if it is smooth. Run a metal snow shovel across the floor, if it is there, you will understand and fix it again.
Some Instructions Before Running the Machine
- The sander machine is not easy to operate unless you have run it before. So be careful when using them. Otherwise, it may damage the floor.
- Pick machines that have options to increase and decrease their power.
- Take proper instruction from the renter to operate the machine you are renting property.
- Before using it directly on your floor, you can practice on plywood.
Steps to Sand Hardwood Floor
- You are ready to run this huge machine. With 30-40 grit sandpaper, you are going to start the work.
- Since it is quite thick paper, the old finishes will start to rise.
- Keep moving forward at a slower pace. Don’t settle for less than you’re full potential. If you need to stop, turn off the machine immediately.
- You start from one end and up to the other. Thus end a pass in the whole room.
- Since the sander machines are quite large, it is difficult to clean the corners and edges properly. I have already told you to rent a power hand sander, now use it to sand the corners and edges well and with the same grit. Until the old finishes of the floor are gone.
- Check the sandpapers frequently to see if they are finished. If it does, it will continue without rubbing the floor. Since it is covered with wood grains as a result of sanding, you will not be able to understand the difference.
- Keep in mind that sandpaper can be used to sand up to about 20 feet.
- Finish the second and third passes in the same way with 50-60 and 60-100 grits.
- Vacuum and wipe off all dust after each pass, and prepare for the next pass.
- Empty the dust bag of the sander machine from time to time. As if it can’t carry extra weight. Since the machine is already heavy. It is better to empty it when it is half full so that the machine gives better performance.
Buff the Floor
If you are a non-professional, it means that you cannot solve the sanding process with 100% expertise. However, you may need to buff the floor to complete this task. You can rent a buffer machine if you want, although the pole sanders fill up this gap, but it is time consuming. If you have a tight budget, take some time and do it with the help of pole sander.
What is buff? Basically a buff is a specific place in a room that still remains inconsistent. Some space may be lost while sanding maybe when you forgot to change the sand paper. For a professional finish you should focus on buffing.
Pick 120 grit sanding screens, mark locations and buff one by one.
Stain the Floor
Vacuum the whole room well and mop it with a straight mopping. Because the next step is very fragile, any dust and dirt can interfere with the work.
While the step is optional, it is important to note that at this stage it is our turn to make the floor polyurethane. However, there are many who do not like the actual color of the wood. So if you want to add extra color to the floor then this step is important for you.
- If you want to buy your color coat already. Simply read their instructions and get ready to stain.
- You can use a brush or roller brush to stain. But the best way is to make a cloth with your own hands and you can get the best results.
- Stir the colors after a while or the oil will float on top.
- Give as many coats as you want until the color of your choice comes.
- Take enough time to dry each coat.
- Be careful not to leave any stains on the floor after staining.
- So keep coming to the door from the inside.
Steps to Refinish Hardwood Floor
This step will be the most important to make your floor look as shiny as before. This step depends on how much and in what way your floor will shine. Re-vacuum the room to get a nice and professional finish and remove the dirt then the dirt will get stuck in the finish coat.
Make sure there is enough ventilation in the area before starting the finish, as it will take a long time to dry after applying the finish.
- Since there are two types of polyurethane, follow the product’s instructions on how to use them.
- Take a roller brush, and start from one end of the room. You can’t step on it after applying the coat. So start from the inside edge of the room.
- Rub any inconsistent areas with Lamb’s wool applicator then apply polyurethane.
- You can apply as many coats as you need, take enough time to dry each coat.
- After applying the last coat, let it dry for 24 hours. You can then navigate there again. However, take a week to re-enter the furniture. This will avoid scratches
The higher the coat of finish, the greater their protection, Oily based polyurethane can give your floor a golden glow but it is not only effective for future protection but it also takes less time to dry the finish with water and is long lasting.
Always keep hardwood floors clean. Make time to vacuum them on your daily cleaning list. Avoid using high heels on wooden floors and avoid pulling furniture in any way. However, it is difficult to save the floors from our pets. You should take action as soon as you get any scratches from them. Read our guide for that.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.